January 10, 2011

Spot The Collie Illusion





I am more than certain how those of you that came to this article via your optical illusion widgets saw the illusion immediately! Rest of us (Festivus, the illusion for the rest of us!) will need an explanation before we see it. It all began when Joe Faircloth sent me a photo, taken in front of the local bridal-wear shop in Newtown Powys, UK. Joe asked me a simple question, whether I can see a Colli in his simple shot?


What do you see?

In the beginning I almost ditched the submission, thinking there is nothing interesting about it (you have to remember we get dozen of submissions daily – not all of them qualify), but then a simple coincidence made me see it. As most of you know, Gmail has a built-in function, which previews the thumbnail of the attached pictures and files. While I couldn’t see anything in the full-size photo Joe sent me, I saw the dog’s head perfectly when the shrinked version appeared! To picture you what happened, I made a similar thumb and added it to the right. Remember, original picture I received was 5 times bigger than the version I posted above… Can you see it now? If you still have problems, try shrinking the image – or check how it looks inside your preferred widget.

No comments:

Post a Comment